Friday 20 January 2012

Good intentions!

So where do I begin?!  First blog......here goes!  

I have a creative mind which has a tendency to keep me awake at night.   My mind does full circles,  cartwheels and all sorts of contortions, over and over, round and round the thoughts go.  They whir and dive and speed through my head, and they don't give up or give me any peace.  A friend told me I should start writing, then perhaps my mind will stop behaving like a windmill at night, or a computer that won't shut down......whirring on and on.  I suppose you call it an over-active mind.

The New Year seems as good as any time to start.........ok, its not so new now, as it is already January 19th, but this is as good a time as any. 

Last year ended badly.    I had a nasty accident on the 30th September and it has changed my life.  My life now consists of 'before' that day, and 'after'.  I completely shattered my elbow when I fell downstairs.  I remember nothing, partly because I was concussed, and my body went into shock, but also I was a little tiddly because I had been to a rather boozey party.  Not very clever.....thus the title of this blog "Oops I did it again"  It is rather typical of my life. 

I have never done things by halves.......and certainly this was a humdinger of an injury and no exception.  How on earth I managed to call the ambulance after such a fall, only God knows.  I think He must have sent an Angel to my rescue!!  I was on my own in the house, so it was either an Angel or me (I can't remember anything at all!)  Once in hospital,  I had to wait 5 days before I had 6 hours of surgery to have my elbow re-built,  (I have an arm full of Titanium now.....just call me bionic!!) blood transfusions, the whole works!! 

I was in a plaster-cast and immobilised for 9 weeks in all.  I am still suffering the consequences of this injury, and have only 20 degrees (or less)  movement in the elbow joint.  I am not able to drive, use a knife and fork, get my hand to my mouth and all sorts of seemingly easy tasks, that we all just take for granted.  Looking on the bright side........if it had been my skull or neck, I probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale.  I have nick-named my arm 'Frankie' after Frankensteins monster........I have a 12 inch scar and I am full of nuts, bolts and screws!

I have always been somewhat accident-prone.  I started off well at the age of two when I fractured my femur (largest bone in the body I think)  I was hospitalised and on traction for 8 weeks......which is one hell of a long time for a two year old.  I had been playing in the garden and clambering on a very heavy wooden bench which my father had moved into a slightly precarious place while he was mowing the lawn.  I saw it as something good to explore and climb, but it ended up on top of me.  Again......it could have been worse if it had landed on my head, luckily it was my leg!  

So at the tender age of two I was introduced to the wonders, noises and smells of casualty and hospital.  In those days (1960) visitors were discouraged, and my parents weren't allowed to see me for 48 hours.  Thereafter they were only allowed to see me for half an hour each day.  My poor mother 6 months pregnant with my brother, it was heartbreaking for her.  I came out of the whole experienced somewhat traumatised and insecure, which affected the rest of my childhood with a lack of confidence, self doubt and timidity.  More of that another time.

I could go on, and give you my life history from this point, but I don't know if it would bore the pants off anyone who happens to come across this blog, and put them off coming back!  (I have no idea who reads these things, or whether anyone would find it remotely interesting!!)  so I won't bore you with too many details for now.......another day!!  

I am just finding my feet here, and I am sure there will be plenty more opportunities to tell my life story, and to voice my thoughts and feelings on life in general.  

So I will say cheerio for now, give you a little wave........and wish you a very good day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey.......you can make comments on this thing.....looking forward to having some comments!!

Jim Bigboned Kalweit said...

Great star on your new blog. Looking forward to more. Sorry to hear about your accident, get well soon.
Jim :)))

Unknown said...

Hey Jim, lovely to hear from you, and thank you for checking this out. My mind is over-flowing with things to say, and I don't really know where to start! Yes......my accident, all I can say is grrrrrr and :((( I hope you are well.